Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Kids! What a hoot!

Last week I was sustained as the Ward Music Chairperson at church. This Sunday I went to the bishop's office with my family after church to be set apart. (In our church, we have callings where we serve, unpaid, in different capacities. When a person receives a new calling, she is "set apart," or given a blessing or special prayer, to help her do the new job. It's like getting advice from Heavenly Father, through a priesthood leader who voices the blessing.)

Tobin and the kids and I went in the bishop's office with the three bishopric members. I told the kids this was going to be a special prayer and they needed to sit very quietly with their arms folded and listen. We emphasized the need for reverence, too. About half way through the blessing, Maryam let out a really loud fart. She followed that by giggling and snickering through the rest of the blessing. I couldn't decide whether to be embarrassed or burst out laughing. Luckily all of the adults in the room managed to maintain decorum until the blessing was finished. I shook the bishop's hand and apologized for my daughter and we all started laughing. What a story I have to share with her future husband someday! Needless to say, our Family Home Evening lesson last night was about appropriately dealing with bodily functions in public.

2 comments:

Tiffany Kadani said...

Haha! That is so funny! I just recounted that story to my family and they loved it!

Amz said...

Oh my goodness! How hilarious is that...now! Not at the moment I'm sure!