Friday, May 7, 2010

Little Life Lessons

Being pregnant has produced all sorts of opportunities to teach Peyton and Maryam about life--especially about reproduction. They have quite a few questions about babies and pregnancy. I'm doing my best to be honest and age appropriate with answers for them. Yesterday, they asked to see some pictures of themselves when they were babies. Tragically, I still haven't made their baby book. (This brings me to a dilemma. Do I make one book or two???? Advise, anyone?)
But I digress. Thank goodness for digital pictures! I took the kids to the computer and opened the pictures there. They were enthralled with the slide shows of themselves as babies. Many of the pictures also feature Tobin and me. As you probably recall, Tobin has lost quite a bit of weight in the last year and a half, so he looks very different in those pictures from four years ago. Maryam saw the first picture of Tobin way back when and said, "That's Daddy when he was crunchy. Now he is smooth."
This is serious progress. The last time she saw pictures of her chubby daddy, she said, "That's when Daddy was a little bit ugly." I'm not sure why she was associating being overweight with being ugly. That's not something she heard here! She made comments to me about strangers along those lines too, so we had some serious conversations about everyone being unique and special. And just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they are ugly. I'm glad she has now found some different adjectives to use. Crunchy and smooth are just too funny!
Crunchy Daddy
Smooth Daddy

5 comments:

Jennifer Skinner said...

Crunchy/Smooth...Ha! Kids are so funny.

Julie said...

I'd make two books... that way some day they have their own book to show their own kiddos! Also, love the cute kid stories! Keep 'em coming!

madbug said...

Haha! I love your kids! Tom and I will be back in the ward offically next weekend. We are excited to be back!! Let me know if we can help in any way! We are praying for you!

Sarah E said...

There are two options...If you do digital scrapbooking you can make one book and have it printed twice with different covers, or you should do two separate books. My kids have only a couple of years covered in their baby books and I still find them reading them regularly at night!

Melissa said...

I have made two books. I think I have the first two weeks of there life done. Hopefully I'll catch up one day.