Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Wisdom of Maryam

Lately, the big kids and I often have discussions about wanting to move and not wanting to move.  They want a bigger house and a yard, so they do want to move.  But they don't want to leave our current house, the only house they've ever known; so they don't want to move.  Tonight when I tucked them into bed, we had another of these complex conversations.  I explained to them that when we bought this house we didn't have any kids and weren't able to have any at that time, so we didn't think about things like needing a yard yet.  (Plus we didn't plan to live in this house this long, but that's another story . . .)

Maryam looked at me, perplexed, and asked, "You couldn't have any kids?" 
I said, "Remember how the doctors had to help Mommy and Daddy get pregnant with Braden and Natalie?  Well, they had to help us get pregnant with you and Peyton too."
She huffed with disdain, "Help you get pregnant?  Ladies don't act like that!"

Oh my!  If only she knew the number of (medical) people who have seen all of my business by now!  I had to work so hard to keep from laughing out loud right there.  I didn't want to hurt her feelings.  She and Peyton don't actually know where babies come from yet, so I'm not sure what she is picturing when she thinks about the doctors helping us get pregnant.  But clearly it is something very un-ladylike!

1 comment:

Julie said...

She sounds so sweet! I love the logic of our little ones!