Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Strange, Windy Incident

The kids and I joined my sister-in-law and and several other friends at their health club today. The kids played in the care center while Kristyn and I took a Pilates class. I wish I could join the club just for that class. It was awesome! But I don't want another monthly payment, so for now, my Pilates video will just have to suffice.

After the class we went to the pool for some fun in the sun. The shallow area, 1-3 feet deep, is awesome for kids. The adults could sit in the pool and play with the kids, who could actually touch the bottom! Such a difference from our community pool, which is 3 feet deep at the shallow end. We had a picnic lunch and did some more swimming.

At one point we were taking a break from the pool, when the wind picked up for just a moment. One of the kids' floating toys started to blow away, so I grabbed it with my left hand. A second later, the umbrella in the middle of our table flew up into the air. I grabbed it with my right hand, trying desperately to hang on. The umbrella was headed right for Maryam, who was frozen in place. Another gust ripped the umbrella from my hand. It dropped to the ground just in front of Maryam. I tried to grab it again, when another gust picked it up off the ground again, right over Maryam's head, and dropped it into the hot tub, just missing an older man and two little girls. At the same time I was wrestling and chasing our umbrella, other umbrellas and tables were being toppled. One of our friends and his one-year-old daughter had their table and umbrella blown over onto them. Fortunately, they were both ok. The poor baby was scared, though.

The wind probably lasted for 1-2 minutes and then it was calm again. Strange!