Friday, July 17, 2009

Save or Purge?

Since I returned home from vacation, I've been working on switching the kids' bedroom and the guest room. The kids were in the smaller of the two rooms before. I am moving them into the larger room so that I can move their toys out of the living room and into their bedroom. As it turns out, this is a much larger project than I initially anticipated. The large furniture is already moved and in new homes. Now I need to address all of the "stuff."

We have quite a lot of baby stuff--almost everything you can imagine, times two! I saved everything because we might have more children someday. There's also a large recliner that has seen better days; but it's the perfect chair for nursing twins, so I can't let it go. I really would like to have more space in my house and garage for things we are actually using. But I can't justify getting rid of all the baby stuff since we are not sure if we are done having babies. I have a desperate urge to purge right now, but I also really want a couple more babies.

Have you dealt with this conundrum? How do you reconcile the need for space with the need to be frugal/thrifty/practical?

5 comments:

Julie said...

I've been holding onto girls clothes for 9 years in the hope of using them again!

Kirsty said...

It's a tough one. I'm frugal and hugely sentimental too. I'll tell ya though, if you'd like to have another baby just get rid of all your stuff and you are sure to :)

I tell myself that there will always be people who will be willing to hand things down (just like you, they will want to get rid of things too!) I save my few favourite clothes and toys and get rid of the rest. It feels really good. It's really great to see the cute clothes being worn and enjoyed by other cute babies I know and to know the toys are being used instead of cluttering up my home. (Plus they keep inventing cuter and more useful stuff all the time-if needs be you have another baby shower ;)

Cami said...

Oooooh, tough one Lydia. I HATE clutter, so I normally chuck lots of things. When we had a huge unfinished basement it was easy to save things and keep them out of the way. What kinds of thins are we talking about here? Think about what you really used and what you would really need two of even if you do have twins again. Are they always in the swing at the same time? And the bouncy chair? Or would one be enough of each? You probably have clothes that you never loved but had and barely ever put them in - get rid of those. Give away some of the toys - you will ALWAYS accumulate more. Same with blankets - do you have a surplus. Some that are not special at all? Give those away. I have rarely gotten rid of something that I regretted. Chances are you forget about it quickly. Especially decorations and clothes. Okay, I have blabbed a lot and probably not helped much. Miss you, keep up with your blog more. I love to hear about your life and am excited for you to be home with those cute kiddos!

Alli said...

The minute you get rid of the baby stuff, you'll get pregnant for sure and then regret getting rid of everything.

I'm not hugely sentimental, but I am practical and resourceful. I don't want to re-buy anything I will likely use again. I've kept my favorite of their clothes to pass down, and most of their toys. I store almost everything in 18 gallon Rubbermaid tubs, so at least if it's crowded in the garage, it's still organized.

Why don't you just get rid of your husband's stuff to make more room? :)

nyn said...

It was fun to see the good times you had on vacation. And Way to go Tobin, that is a lot of work. As for the clutter issue, that is a hard one. As Kirsty said you get rid of stuff and then somehow it comes back to you. Funny thing is I gave her my baby girl stuff when we moved from CA. Then when I had my third baby girl she was kind enough to mail it all back to me. Good luck in decluttering. I hope you take pictures of the rooms. I would love to see how things turn out.