Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Itch

I've got the itch, and I've got it bad! I'm itching for a new house and a new car. Neither of them are realistic at this point, but that doesn't stop me from wanting. Our house is an adorable 3 bed, 2 1/2 bath, with 1750 square feet. It's such a great place, and we've made so many wonderful memories here. But we really would like a house that has a living room and a family room. It would be so nice to have adult space separate from the kid space. And a real office--or at least an office area. And a storage room. And another bedroom. And a real yard where the kids can play. I'm sure you get the idea. I'm trying to keep myself satisfied right now by repeating the pioneer mantra "Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do, or do without."

Since I'm trying so hard to be content in a house that feels a bit too small, I'm getting the itch to get rid of STUFF. There's not too much we have that is excess at this point, but I'm willing to get rid of whatever excess is left. Now, according to Tobin that would include all of my craft and sewing things. But he just needs to wait until I'm out of school this summer. Oh, I've got projects planned already! In fact, I have a few up my sleeve that need to get finished by Father's Day, and I'm contemplating more for Mother's Day. . .

As far as a car, we don't really need a new one right now. We were hoping to get pregnant this past fall, so we would have needed a new car in the very near future. But alas, the pregnancy story doesn't seem to change for us . . . . It's a long, hard battle. I had my mind set on needing a new car for more kids, and now I can't seem to get rid of the itch to buy one. The thing that keeps me from seriously looking is the idea of another car payment. Yuck! I'll keep waiting until the time comes that we are actually pregnant with more babies. Or until we are independently wealthy. Whichever happens first.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I have been itchy for quite a while, too! When we bought this house we were so excited to have a house at all instead of throwing our money into rent. Now, 2 kids will soon be four- and it doesn't feel as "spacious" as it once did.
Couple that with the fact that Matt has a 'new' job and is commuting- and I am REALLY ready to go.
oh well, I digress. I guess next Spring (and our hopeful moving date) will come around before I know it!
Let me know if you come up with any good solutions for the "itchiness!"

Alli said...

Wanting when you can't have is just a form of self-torture, isn't it? I think cleaning out, getting rid of stuff, and maybe even re-arranging rooms is a good idea. Spring fever's got me cleaning out closets and hitting the yardwork.

Amz said...

I've been very itchy too in the car department. We still drive our Toyota van with 123K miles on it. It seats 7 and our family fills every seat. I got the itch about a year ago when I thought we'd be pregnant too and out -grow our van and "have to" buy a new one. No such luck in that department for us either *sigh* but the itch remains. We won't be buying a new one till it hits 200K miles or a baby forces us out. It runs fine, it is wheels, and the best part...it is paid for....that's what I need to keep reminding myself about.