Monday, November 17, 2008

D.I.Y. Super Woman

I really enjoy doing projects around the house, but I have lacked motivation to do much for a while--maybe even a couple of years. Recently I got a "burr under my saddle," as my father-in-law referred to it. I have decided to paint our guest room so that I can move my kids into that room. The guest room has been our storage area since we moved into our house six years ago, so now I am trying to move a lot of stuff into the garage and keep it all neat and tidy. I put some serious time into the garage on Saturday, and I'm pleased with the results. No, you can't park even one car in it anymore, but it's better than paying a monthly fee for a storage unit!

Today I moved all of the remaining furniture, books, etc. to the middle of the guest room. My sister-in-law and her cousin helped me remove the shelves I built and mounted on the wall a few years ago--those definitely are not going back up. What a pain!!! (Though I've decided I'm going to attempt to make them into a book shelf or two.) I have now taped off all the trim and laid out plastic in the room. I'm finally ready to prime and paint. If you are familiar with our guest room, you know that it is currently white with red and blue stripes--a DIY project gone horribly wrong. And yet I have left it so for four years because I worked so hard on those terrible stripes, I couldn't bear to paint over them. Now I'm sick and tired of them; thank goodness I don't have to sleep in that room. It's horrifying! :) I've selected a nice, neutral, relaxing shade of green. I want to decorate with boy stuff on one side and girl stuff on the other, so I figured green would work for both. I've been eyeing some fabric at a local store that is going out of business, and now I'm thinking up several other projects I just might dive into. Can you say snowball effect? But it's all justified, right? I want to move Peyton and Maryam into twin beds soon, which means they will need new bedspreads and some pillowcases.

I'm excited to accomplish a new project (or five . . . or ten . . .). Once I finish something and look at my work, it makes me feel like I can do anything! I really can be super woman!

2 comments:

Erin Bingham said...

Sounds like lots of fun. Don't forget to post pictures so we can see your masterpiece.

Stacie Jo said...

If ever there was a super woman it's you! Have a great time DIY!

I'll be there for Christmas. Let's find time to play.

XO