Saturday, July 9, 2011

Baby Blankets

I've made a few baby blankets in the past weeks, since there seems to be a bit of a baby boom in my life right now. Interestingly, the people having babies all seem to be in different circles of my life. Though I have several friends who are pregnant, few of them know or associate with each other. (Not significant information, just interesting to me.) Anway, here are a couple of baby boy quilts I made recently.




Baby Boy Fowler Quilt

The backing of both quilts is a light-weight, brown polka dot corduroy.

Baby Boy Harper Quilt


I made the quilt with the white center first.  In order to quilt this, I measured and marked each line with pins.  I heard from a friend that there is a special sewing machine foot that can mark the distance between the lines so that they are even and you don't have to do the measuring.  So I bought myself one of those (can't remember what it's called) and a walking foot.  The walking foot can be used to do "free hand" machine quilting.  I'm exciting and scared to use that one.  It's still in the packaging.  I think "free hand" machine quilting looks so cool when other people do it.  I really want to try it out.  But I'm afraid that when I do it's going to look bad.  Then I'll have an ugly quilt that I have to either give someone (and feel terrible for giving them something ugly), keep and use in my home (and nit-pick it's inadequecies each time I see it), or donate somewhere (and feel bad for donating an ugly quilt to someone in need).  Yes, I do know I'm crazy.  Hopefully I'll find the courage--and time--to try my walking foot soon!

No comments: