Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Calling All Campers

You may know already, but Tobin and I are not campers. I camped quite a bit with my family when I was younger and attended all six years of girls camp with the young women in my ward. And we did real camping--sometimes tents, no showers some years, wilderness. But I have not been camping in a long time. Tobin has been a few times when he was a boy scout, I think. But he really doesn't enjoy it.

Our kids have started asking us to take them camping, so I am determined to have a family camping experience this summer. I need your advice! We are driving up to Idaho to see Tobin's family and I want to camp at Yellowstone for a couple of nights. Suggestions? Advice? Seriously, even the most basic advice will not be lost on us. I'm trying to conjure up all of my camping memories and knowledge. I'm not coming up with much so far.

My husband is not convinced that he wants to camp, so advice I could use to convince him to go would also be helpful. Otherwise it will just be me and the kids (and my brothers-in-law and their families).

Please help me!

4 comments:

Jennifer Skinner said...

Baby wipes are mirical workers on camping trips. Even if your kids are totally potty trained by then, bring tons of baby wipes. And a tent. And sleeping bags. Air matress/comfy pad. And plan out your meals and prep them ahead of time. Then camping is a piece of cake. As long as you sleep and eat well life is good. And smore supplies. Don't forget those.

Julie said...

I like to keep things short and simple when camping. Keep meals as simple as possible, bring lots of snack food and then just take it easy. Be prepared to just let your kids run and get dirty and stay up late and then clean them up when you get home.

Alli said...

Camping is my favorite thing to do in the summer! Although I'm spoiled because we go with my husband's family and his dad does all the cooking! A lantern is a must-have, flashlights won't cut it when you need overall lighting in the dark. And bring some games. Split meal duties with the other families if possible. And don't bring any clothes that you like, especially for the kids. Have fun!

Julie said...

Don't forget Toilet Paper and Lysol. I was one of the most "popular" kids at Girls Camp- Even when we camped somewhere with restroom facilities, the bathrooms always smelled a bit- so I took my lysol and it was amazing how many of the girls would wait until I had to go- so they could benefit from a fresher smelling restroom!
Seriously though, wet wipes are essential, as is sunscreen and bug spray.
Just play hard until you could fall over so the kids will sleep good all night!
Have a great time!