Monday, February 8, 2010

Feeding the Chickens

This afternoon I suggested the twins go upstairs to play since they were driving me crazy playing downstairs while I was sewing. They were more than excited to play in their room for a while. I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary and figured they were probably building their secret hiding place again (think blanket fort). A little later, I heard them playing at the bedroom door, keeping each other out/in. I headed upstairs to see what they were up to.

I turned the corner in the hallway to their room, and this is what I saw.


The blob on the floor is the inside structure of one of the twins' arm chair style bean bag chairs. The white spots on the floor are styrofoam "beans" from the chair. I stepped into the twins' bedroom and found this . . .

They emptied the beans from both of their chairs onto the floor of the bedroom. I quickly asked them why they would empty out their bean bag chairs onto the floor. Maryam replied, "To feed the pretend chickens, Mom." She used this tone of voice like their actions were perfectly logical. I had to work really hard not to burst out laughing right then. I explained to them that this was probably not the best idea and they would need to help me clean up the floor. They agreed, and I ran downstairs to get the camera and some beach buckets.


We spent 45 minutes scooping "beans" off the floor into beach buckets and then into trash bags. Then the kids were great helpers vacuuming all the remaining beans from underneath everything in their room.

4 comments:

Cami said...

Oh my goodnes, Lydia! What a good mom you are to have to keep from laughing. That would come later for me - much later. I would probably have to keep myself from yelling!
Although, I guess it would all depend on which age child of mine did that. My two year old - ya, that would be funny.

Tiffany Kadani said...

No way! This is too much! You have such a great way with dealing with these stressful situations.

Monica Lawver said...

That is hilarious! Much more unique than the 45 minutes I spent cleaning up Michael's lunch...

Erin Bingham said...

How can you get upset when they are so darn cute. I think that was a very logical explanation. =)